Many CBD products look and smell like treats, so it’s important to keep these tempting treats away from your dog’s mouth so they don’t eat more than they should.
Just as with humans, CBD can have negative effects on dogs. The higher the dosage, the more likely your dog is to experience adverse effects. Some of the potential side effects include
- Weight loss
- Liver enlargement (with prolonged use of excessive amounts)
- Abdominal discomfort and diarrhea
- Low blood pressure (if overdosed)
- Lethargy and drowsiness
- Increased dry mouth and thirst
CBD for dogscan also be used in combination with certain prescription drugs. Therefore, a veterinarian should be consulted before giving CBD for dogs.
Full spectrum CBD products contain small amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), another compound found in the cannabis plant. THC is toxic to dogs, so it’s best to choose CBD products that are labeled as single or full spectrum.
Full-spectrum CBD contains very little THC, but it can still be harmful if your pet ingests more than expected.
Signs of tetrahydrocannabinol poisoning in dogs include
- Lethargy, uncoordinated movements
- Excessive secretion of saliva
- Dilated pupils
If you suspect your dog has ingested tetrahydrocannabinol or overdosed on CBD, seek urgent veterinary attention.
How to choose CBD products for dogs
We use the same criteria for selecting CBD products for dogs as we do for humans. While your pet deserves the best, we recommend that you consult a professional veterinarian before giving your dog CBD.
The products we choose are based on criteria that we consider to be good indicators of safety, high quality and transparency. Every product in this article
- Produced by an organization that provides third-party proof of testing in an ISO 17025 compliant laboratory.
- Made from hemp grown in the United States.
- Contains less than 0.3% THC, as verified by Certificate of Analysis (COA).
- Passes analysis for pesticides, heavy metals and mold.
In the selection process, we also took into account
- Company certification and manufacturing processes
- Product performance
- Substance values
- Indicators of personal beliefs and model reputation.
Learn more by continue reading on this site.